Life is for living, and a big part of living is adventure. There are so many ways to have adventures in life – from finding the dream career to creating a family – but one of the biggest adventures you could ever have is the adventure of travelling. The world is huge, and there are so many places to explore among it. It’s not just countries you can tick off a bucket list, but cities, countryside hills, beaches, museums, theme parks – you get the picture. There are mountains to climb and ski down, forests to walk and admire. There are cities to sleep in and explore and there are roads to travel to get to the next destination on your list. The problem is that – other than the pandemic – most people are scared to leap and take those adventures for themselves.
The world offers tons of chances to explore, discover and seek out new things, and if you’re still waiting to do it it’s time to make a list. You should include the things that you want to experience, from the guided motorcycle tours to the skiing lessons you could be doing. There’s no need to just dream about exploring the world, it’s time to just do it. Let’s take a closer look at eight amazing adventures that you could go on once the pandemic is finished and travel starts up again. Ready? Let’s go!
- Cruise. A floating vat of entertainment and delicious food, a cruise is on the bucket list of most people. There’s a good reason for it: sheer adventure! Cruises allow you to see more than one part of the world at a time which means that you can tick off multiple countries on your bucket list in one go. One of the most adventurous cruises that you could go on is an Antarctic cruise. It’s something that will give you bragging rights because you’ve travelled further than most of your friends! You’ll hike and kayak on an Antarctic cruise in some of the untouched places (well, untouched by most) in the world.
- Caving. This is not one for the claustrophobics out there, but for those who want to explore some of the spaces that are left unseen in the world. For example, if you visit Florida, you tend to go for the crocodiles and Everglades tours, the beaches and in some cases Disneyworld, however, Florida Caverns State Park is a must and the caves here must be explored fully. You can even choose to camp in the caves, but you don’t have to if that’s not your thing. You can even see the bigger caves if the smaller, tighter spaces just aren’t for you.
- Driving. You may be a lover of being behind the wheel but until you’ve had an adventure on the Autobahn, you haven’t tasted adventure. This is the place to be if you want to hit those top speeds your car can do without being arrested as there are no speed limits on the Autobahn, so you get to hit the top of the speedometer without restriction.
- Skiing. Whoever came up with the idea of strapping strips of wood to their feet and sliding down snowy mountains clearly loved a thrill! There are so many ranges in the world where you can do exactly this, from the Canadian Rocky Mountains to the snowy-tipped Val di Fiemme range. All you need to do is pick a place to ski and book yourself some lessons! There’s no need to go directly for the most difficult slopes, not when there are nursery slopes to discover first.
- Yes, you can absolutely have adventures when you’re on your feet. While you may cycle the North Yungas Death Road in Bolivia, it’s highly unlikely you’re going to walk it. No, instead you’ll need to walk some of the many adventurous hikes out there. There are hikes in the mountains, the Tour du Mont Blanc highlights that allow you to see some of the most spectacular mountain views that stretch into three different countries – France, Italy and Switzerland. There are plenty of places in the world to strap on your hiking boots and see the sights and all you have to do is Google. Some of the best hiking vacations happen on the mountains and in the forests, and there are itineraries that last weeks.
- Adventures are not all about thrills, spills and blood-rushing excitement. Some adventures are all about soaking up the culture and a big part of that is exploring castles and palaces. Castles in England and across Europe still bear the marks of battles, and there are always walking tours that take you around the castles and their grounds. You won’t need to do much more than book a break and many excursions to the various castles will be included in packages depending on the country you visit.
- Is peace an adventure? Well, when you find serenity in the heights of the Himalayas or in the snorkelling view of the Great Barrier Reef, we’d say so. People hear adventure and they think of a rip-roaring time. They don’t think about the adventures that they could have diving deeply into the ocean, or in the breathtaking views of the Himalayas. A hot air balloon ride in New Zealand also gives you a level of peace you couldn’t hope to find elsewhere, too.
- The world is a vast place and much of it is covered in water. Not all adventures are land based, not when you can water-ski, learn to sail, head onto a yacht and even gain your certification in diving. There are plenty of ocean-based adventures to be had, and if you plan to head out on some for yourself you want to be inclusive. Ocean adventures are there for the taking so why not get started on yours?
The adventures we’ve listed above are by no stretch the only ones you can have. The best thing about our world today is the sheer opportunity that you can find out there. There’s no need to choose – you’ve got to have them all!