We might think that we’re a nation of savvy spenders, quick to hunt for voucher codes to save pennies on our weekly food shop or restaurant bill, but when it comes to holidays Brits are missing out on savings to the tune of £825 million.
From family beach-side breaks to gap-year adventures, it’s the time of year when Brits start looking forward to their next holidays. Luckily, MyVoucherCodes have come to the rescue with a new study to show us just where we can be saving ourselves money on our travels.
Let’s go fly away
With less than a third of internet shoppers using online codes when booking travel products, hundreds of pounds in savings are not being claimed by Brits. We are paying over the odds for hotels, flights, package holidays, parking and insurance, money wasted before we’ve even taken off!
The average saving per voucher code is £72.16, which means you could be saving up to £289 if codes are used on all travel purchases. Just think of it as less spent on logistics and more for kicking back and enjoying your time off.
Top tips for making travel savings
- Keep an eye on social media for promo codes that may be specific to Facebook and which offer you more bang for your buck
- Be open-minded and flexible about your destination; some offers are location based and great savings can be made
- Look at recommendations from other users to give you more information about the deal
- Try booking outside of school holidays, as flights and accommodation are generally cheaper
- Pre-book your airport parking, so you don’t get stung by a hefty bill when you return home.
What the experts say
MyVoucherCodes’ Managing Director weighed in on the issue, saying: “It’s interesting to see that although online shoppers use voucher codes in everyday life, when it comes to booking holidays, potentially one of the biggest monetary outlays of the year, Brits seem to forget about the money-saving benefit of codes.”
“More than half of people also felt that booking travel products through a voucher website meant the quality of suppliers could be trusted, another reason to remember voucher codes next time you’re planning your getaway.”
To see where you could be saving money on your next getaway, check out the Online Consumer Spending Report and let the wanderlust start flowing!